Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Progress in the Land of Hospice

This hideous disease has continued to progress for the past several weeks, but the docs seem to have the pain portion of the problem pretty much in control.  The biggest issue is extreme shortness of breath which limits more and more normal activities every day and is causing me to be a consumer of morphine at a greater pace than I would have preferred.  I now have to be wheeled from my recliner in the family room to the bedroom, and I haven't been outside except on the back patio for more than a week. The shortness of breath is scary and painful in its own right.  I can't even dress myself without help from Liz or a Nurse's Aide who comes in once a day. I continue to fight against the depression that amost always accompanies this sort of thing and I'm thinking that, with a lot of help from Liz, I'm doing pretty well.  I'm beginning to reconcile myself to the fact that I'll probably have to do Mike & Kris's wedding ceremony while sitting in my wheelchair, but I've concluded that the important thing is that I be there, not that I look pretty.

I'm adding this into the blog today for two reasons: first, I wanted everyone to know where I stand with the progress of my illness; and second, we're going to have a guest columnist today who's going to contribute her perspective on the world.

I hope you enjoy it, and if you do, maybe you should get off your duff and write something.  If there's enough interest, I will start a separate blog with more open authorship so that we can collect all these insights in one location!  In any case, enjoy!

No comments: