Monday, May 9, 2011

Kinks in My Hose!

For those of you who might think by the title of this post that either a) I have gone a little kinky; or b) there was a dirty story to follow, I hate to disappoint.  This is just the brief tale of how someone who loves you can inadvertantly cause...well, let's just say that she can cause some discomfort!

Having "in-home" oxygen is not quite as complicated as you might think.  My first reaction to being told I was going on the tube was that I would be greeting burly guys at the front door every day as they dropped off and picked up O2 bottles...and that our house would look like Jacques Cousteau's berth on the Calypso with tanks and hoses everywhere.

Not so.  First, they have this glorious (but very noisy) little machine that creates oxygen all the time and can even fill up bottles for you!  The only downside is the 50-foot hose attached that you have to drag around the house (Anyone remember John Travolta as the boy in the bubble??).  We decided the best place to put this loud-mouthed little intruder (we call it the "gloppita-gloppita machine") was in the family room.  That way, we could run the tube under the doorway (there's a 1-2 inch gap where they allowed room for carpet to be installed) and up to my side of the bed where we could both enjoy a modicum of quiet, and I could enjoy having oxygen to breathe overnight--a not insignificant benefit! 

A marvelous plan but for one thing--On certain days, my fair wife had to leave the bedroom somewhat before sunlight arrives in order to prepare for a class.  Because she is so considerate of me, on the first day after the arrival of the gloppita-gloppita machine, she got her things and quietly made her way out of the bedroom in the dark without even disturbing my beauty sleep!  About 20-25 minutes later, I woke up coughing and very short of breath--I was getting no oxygen! My sweetheart had closed the door quietly all right...right on my hose. 

I tried to look discretely around to see if she had been eyeing the life insurance policy lately, but could find no evidence of foul play.  I did think over the past weekend, though, that she and Joel were whispering about the hose a few times when they thought I couldn't hear, but I'm sure that's nothing.

No comments: